Friday, November 20, 2015

Steve Reyes Theme Statement


The theme that I’m most actively pursuing in my collection of photography this semester is the exploration of surface textures. In my first couple of  weeks of going out into the field with my camera, I found that it was difficult to find subjects of which I could emphasize in a composition. My style of photography typically revolves around the monument, meaning an individual subject is to be the main focus of the composition. Having run into this difficulty, I adapted to the situation by choosing a more abstract approach to photographing my environment. Instead of focusing on a whole subject at once, I would focus on details of a subject exclusively, essentially taking the power away from the object as a whole.

In exploring this new approach I was able to find a much greater ease in finding things to photograph, and with pleasing results. The compositions that I create typically include a wide tonal range of blacks, greys, and whites, and revolve around highlighting surface textures that are out of the ordinary. I see my compositions as a sort of homage to abstract paintings that explore moods and feelings rather than narratives or information. It is my hope that my compositions would allow my audience to view their own environment with a keener eye towards small details, and develop a fondness for abnormal textures.

1 comment:

  1. This is very descriptive and representative of your photos so far. I like how you discuss your overall process that went into finding your theme.

    ReplyDelete